Monday, June 18, 2012

Crafts & Cakes


Very busy weekend with my brother and nephew visiting from Utah, along with my brother's girlfriend and her son. The boys are 5 and 6 and we celebrated their birthdays on Sunday. I got some inspiration from Cassie at Primitive & Proper and made picture book page frames for them. I'll have to make one for Bella next. I used a plastic 4x6 sleeve to put the picture in. I had to cut a tiny corner off each side of the top to get it to fit in the frame, but it worked out perfectly.


To continue my crafty weekend, I stopped by Stylish Patina's new barn sale and picked up a few things.   Not sure where I'll put my new cast iron bird rack, but for 10 bucks I couldn't resist!



On to the recipes! I made a cake and cupcakes for the party. Classic white cupcakes with my favorite Swiss meringue buttercream frosting for the kids and peanut butter chocolate cake for the grownups. I made the cupcake into rainbows, and of course added sprinkles. The chocolate cake I made gluten free just for Mom, but here's a link to the original recipe on Sassy Radish. Be warned: this cake is over the top. Definitely a special occasion kind of thing, especially if the guest of honor is a peanut butter-chocolate lover. You can use any chocolate cake recipe you want in place of the sour cream cake as long as it's sturdy enough to handle the massive amount of peanut butter frosting. There will be an upcoming post with the cupcake recipe, but in the meantime, you'll have to just drool over the pics...

2 comments:

  1. the frames came out SO cute!!! we should get together some friday evening after i get back from the beach and you are back from NY and make some! i have loads of vintage books, too. :) i have seen wooden letters with them, too and that is super cute.
    your little bird rack is too cute! could you put it on your front porch and hang things like garden tools on it?
    and finally- peanut butter chocolate cake? YUM.
    emmy loves apples and she and i went for a walk yesterday and were talking about seasons and the fall and apples, and already i was excited to have apple crisp this fall. and it's not even officially summer yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the frames. LOVE the bird rack.

    I was thinking of doing rainbow cupcakes with white frosting for one of the kids' birthdays!

    ReplyDelete